Do you love the Raffle at the Annual Conference? We seek an Awards and Scholarships Committee Chair, term to begin immediately. This person disseminates information concerning CRLA awards and scholarships and coordinates selection of recipients and preparation of awards. Work includes promoting and organizing the popular Annual Conference raffle!
The term of office is three years and may be renewed.
AWARDS AND SCHOLARSHIPS CHAIR
Disseminates information concerning CRLA awards and scholarships. Coordinates selection of recipients and preparation of awards. Coordinates and promotes fund raising efforts for scholarship funds -- usually a scholarship raffle – during conference.
The term of office is three years and may be renewed.
Committee Chairs must maintain current membership in CRLA throughout their terms as chairs.
- After Conference
- Assume responsibility for disseminating information regarding CRLA scholarships and awards. Update information in each NewsNotes including specific information about the awards; coordinate with NewsNotes Editor (Public Relations Director). Send updates for website to PR Director, concerning awards and scholarships after conference and throughout the year.
- Early January
- Put criteria and qualifications information about the scholarships and awards in NewsNotes.
- Solicit volunteers to serve on Awards and Scholarships committee, if openings exist.
- Provide award and scholarship information to the Professional Development Director for email to State/Region/Chapter Leaders and SIG Leaders.
- Ta. Revise application and nomination forms as needed and transmit to Public Relations Director for posting.
- In NewsNotes, invite CRLA members to bring raffle items to the conference.
- Form a committee of 3-4 CRLA members to review applications for awards and scholarships and later help with conference fundraising tasks. Notify President and Management Company’s Executive Director with names of committee members.
- Connect with the JCRL Editor(s) to see if any assistance for determining the Outstanding JCRL article award is required.
- Work with the Public Relations Director to send an application/nomination e-blast in April and an e-blast reminder in early July—or to include an announcement in those months’ NewsNotes.
- Work with committee to revise, if necessary, application/nomination rating/evaluation forms.
- Coordinate with the Conference Chair any scholarship or award fundraising activities to take place at the annual conference.
- Submit application to CRLA Board for conference travel funds if needed to supplement institutional funds. [See General Responsibilities].
- On receipt of applications and nominations, send note acknowledging receipt and providing conference registration information.
- Verify with Membership Coordinator at Management Company that all applicants/nominees meet CRLA membership criteria. This becomes an issue if a nominee is selected as the award recipient but is not a CRLA member, as only current CRLA members are eligible to win CRLA awards and scholarships.
- If an applicant or nominee does not meet the eligibility criteria, the Chair should request that the Management Company send a “membership renewal” email to the individual(s) informing them that their membership has lapsed and that it’s time to renew.
- If the individual(s) do not renew their membership within 2 weeks, then the A&S Chair should reach out to them directly to let them know that they have been selected for the particular award or scholarship, but that they can only receive it if their membership is current.
- Bullets i and ii above refer only to awards managed by the A&S chair. The Robert Griffin and Karen G. Smith Award are handled differently and managed by the CRLA Board and President.
- On August 2, ask Public Relations Director to post a notice that applications/nominations are closed and remove forms.
- Distribute applications/nominations to committee members with the appropriate evaluation form(s) for judging. Reach consensus on recommendations. (In the event the Committee cannot agree, the Chairperson will cast the deciding vote.)
- Make recommendations to the President for all awards and scholarships prior to the conference call held during the month prior to the conference. (President can provide the exact date; usually held early in September for an October conference and early in October for a November conference.) Recommendations should include the number of applications received, names of applicants, brief summary of each application, and support for the Committee’s decision. In addition, each recommendation should include the text of the presentation to be made at the upcoming conference, including any relevant biographical information and research history. Final determination of award and scholarship recipients remains with the Board.
- After notification by the President of an approved list of winners, advise scholarship and award recipients so they can plan to attend the conference. Remind them of the conference registration deadline and on-site registration options. In addition, they will need to report on their use of the scholarship to the President and the Awards and Scholarship Chair by August 15th before the following year's annual conference. If a person is awarded a grant to do research, request the awardee to report his/her progress and final results in communication to the President and submit a proposal to present results at the next appropriate CRLA conference. Copy the appropriate President-Elect/Conference Chair on communications to grant winners.
- Coordinate any plaques to be given with the Management Company’s Executive Director.
- Arrange with the Treasurer for the award checks to be written and indicate which ones will be handed out at the conference and which ones are to be mailed.
- Contact previous year's winners and remind them to submit a report to the President by September 1st regarding their use of the scholarship.
- Contact Past President and ask that State/Region/Chapter Leaders and SIG Leaders be urged to bring an item to the raffle at the annual conference.
- Contact the chair of the Past Officers’ Council to coordinate sale of raffle tickets by past officers.
At the annual conference
- Coordinate receipt of raffle items and storage with on-site conference chair.
- Set up and staff raffle.
- Promote raffle and selling of raffle tickets and turn over all raffle funds to Treasurer.
- Coordinate selection of prize winners.
- Coordinate announcements of awards and scholarship recipients with President.
Current Awards and Scholarships (2019)
- Up tp five Professional Development Scholarship Awards of $1,000 each.
- Graduate Student Registration Fee Award.
- One Outstanding JCRL article award—Plaque.
- One Distinguished Teaching Award—Plaque and check for $100.
- Attend annual conference (or notify President as soon as possible if unable to attend).
- Submit annual report to President in electronic form by September 30th.
- Send copies of appropriate correspondence to the President regularly including list of award and scholarship recipients by December 15th. Forward copy of recipients list to President and Secretary.
- Submit a projected budget to the Treasurer prior to December 15th annually.
- Maintain current membership in CRLA throughout term of office.
- Work with the Board one year before end of term to identify and mentor a successor.
- Contact CRLA Board for any suggested changes to job description during term and update this job description at end of term.
Procedure for Accounting and Handling of Scholarship Money (for clarification)
- As scholarship chair turns money over to Treasurer, money is counted to determine exact amount.
- Two receipts are written by Scholarship Chair: one goes to scholarship chair and other is attached to the money.
- Scholarship money is kept separated from registration money.
- Scholarship money is deposited separately from registration money.
Reimbursement for non-board members (updated May 2015)
The CRLA Executive Board establishes a travel funding policy for CRLA leaders who are not members of the Board but may be required to perform some of their responsibilities at the annual CRLA conference. Funding requests will be funded by the Board up to $1200 depending on the total award amount available each year. The Leader Travel Request Form should be submitted in writing to the President of CRLA by June 15 to be considered for that year’s conference. Proposals will be evaluated by the Board on the basis of benefit to the Association and the members of CRLA, the extent to which they demonstrate CRLA’s Mission and Guiding Principles, and on a “funds available” basis. Proposals should include an explanation of the reasons for the request, the purpose of travel, benefits to CRLA, and an itemized list of expenses. For additional information, please see the “Travel Funding Policy for Committee Chairs, Coordinators, and Other Leaders” and Leader Travel Request Form available on the CRLA website at Leadership/Leader Forms/ Committee Chairs and Coordinators.
Accepting this position allows CRLA to publish name, work address, and work telephone number.
(Revised April 12, 2007; December 2008; April 2009; December 2009, July 2019)